Monday


I appreciate the interest and time you have taken in furthering the discussion on graffiti. The reason I was inspired in creating the blog was exactly that - whether one agrees with seeing graffiti in the city or not, it is part of our lives (as I wrote in the header, since ancient times, because people are people and essentially our nature or instinct does not really change through the ages, only the way we perceive power in different forms does).

Graffiti is part of human expression, and essentially significant for developing a better understanding not only in what is outside us but ultimately of what comes from within each of us and causes - intentionally or not - a chain reaction in the mirrors of our self (those we choose to see).

I personally do not like or appreciate spray-painted scribbles, because they are a form of rebellious expression that reveals intentional disrespect for anything beautiful or presentable according to socially acceptable aesthetics; thus those scribbles sadden me because of the anger and sense of betrayal they are rooted in, and I can understand the irritation of having one's own home or favourite buildings scribbled on (I wouldn't call it defacing, but instead perhaps forcing on a 'new face').

Yet is that not part of urban life - like cars parked in parks or driving along pedestrian walks, like road rage and pointless or uncalled for aggression between strangers on the street, like air and sound pollution, filth, too little greenery & skylines/open spaces...etc etc? My point is that instead of sitting on a high horse and looking down at what we don't like (and I sustain that the reasons for not liking things can be as confused, hypocritical and incompassionate about human nature, including our own human nature, as they can be logical and hopeful), we should accept, tolerate, celebrate and / or (at least)
learn from it, particularly when it is indeed an expression of creative vision, heartfelt ideals, evocative perspectives, oppressed talent?.

I am glad that the blog has generated a discourse, it has made me think a lot more about the whole issue and all its surrounding issues.

Communication is the key to life! (I wouldn't mind spray-painting that somewhere!!!, ha ha ;-)

Thanks again,
Alexia

Photo: Thanks to Konstandinos K

No comments: